Saturday, April 26, 2014

Off to the Hospital 2014

Early in the morning on Saturday the 19th, stuff started getting kind of real. Starting at 8 a.m. the contractions were 10 minutes apart all morning, but I didn't feel like it was a particularly big deal since they were mild and so far apart.  But by evening they were getting a little closer and a little stronger, and I told my mom she was on stand by....

In retrospect, maybe I should have called my doctor right away and they could have done a c-section, but I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I was still thinking that maybe a VBAC was possible since I never found out the baby's weight. Plus, even though this is my second child, I felt like a fist time mom - I'd only had contractions before when I was dehydrated from the norovirus, so for most of the morning I didn't know if it was the real deal or not. I thought contractions might last for a very long time or even dissapate.

Then around 5 or 6 p.m., James suddenly got sick with a 102 fever which made me feel beyond awful. I felt so bad for him but I had to leave all the hugging to Kevin because I was huge and contracting. And I was so hormonally worried for him-- I called the pediatrician immediately which is not something I usually do. I told him the whole story- including how I was in labor and we'd have to leave him soon.

Finally around 9 p.m. my contractions were sometimes about 5 minutes apart so I called my doctor's office to see whether they thought I should go to the hospital. My doctor said to go so they could see what was going on, so I called my mother and told her to come over. I felt really bad leaving James (1) when he was sick, (2) without telling him, and (3) on his birthday. At least I he was in good hands with my mom.

Labor 2014
Picture right before we left for hospital (in between 6-minute contractions)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...