Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Saturday Morning in Southeast DC 2012

We had a quick trip to DC this weekend. We stayed with Cory and Robin who live in an up-and-coming neighborhood in the Southeast - and got to enjoy some of the best places there.  We started at Eastern Market, which somehow I missed in the 8 years I lived in the Metro area. The outside market area reminds me a lot of the Brooklyn flea market, except the food is more farmers' market than food truck. The actual Eastern Market building is very unique and beautiful. I can't believe I had never been in it before. I think this just leaves the White House on my DC-bucket list. (I've been in the backyard but not inside the building.)
  
DC Visit- August 2012
Clous with Cory and Robin in front of the Eastern Market building

My friend Jaime joined us for the outing and after we walked around the flea market and the indoor  Eastern Market building, we grabbed some lunch at Marvelous Market nearby. I would recommend eating directly from the farmers' market instead, but James was pretty happy because he got his first squeezy-tube of smoothie-like food.

DC Visit- August 2012
Jaime inside Eastern Market

DC Visit- August 2012
James enjoying a fruit smoothie squeezie at Marvelous Market

Cory and Robin had a great idea to take James to the new Yards Park. It's beautiful and super kid friendly with a wading pool and a kiddie splashing fountain.  James was a little nervous about the whole thing at first and kept asking Kevin to pick him up (not with words but with his arms). Once he got into though he loved splashing around.

DC Visit- August 2012
The Yards Park, facing towards the Anacostia River

DC Visit- August 2012
The Yards Park, with my back to the Anacostia River

DC Visit- August 2012
The men taking a dip in the wading pool

DC Visit- August 2012
Trying out the kiddie fountain on the street level

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...