Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Love is Giving Blood Together 2012

For our 6th date in August of 2006, Kevin and I gave blood together. He went first and when it was my turn, I almost passed out. He stood around looking nervous, and then relieved. Later that night he asked me to be his girlfriend.

Kevin gives blood regularly. I only give every couple of years because of blood-loss-induced-queasiness and sometimes because I'm barred by travel restrictions. But this weekend, almost six years after our first blood-letting, we hauled James to our local blood center and took turns watching him while the other person gave blood. And... I almost passed out again. Two different facilitators suggested that "blood donation is not for me." Don't we have a blood shortage? What's a little queasiness or passing out when weighed against a blood shortage?

Besides, I love the we-did-something-good-together-vibe we shared afterwards. Saving lives together is romantic. You get a little buzz from the charity and from the blood-loss-lightheadedness.  Plus you can spoil yourself a little. You really do need the sugar in that cookie after donating!

If you can, and especially if your body tolerates it well, please give blood.

Blood Donation- July 2012
Love.

2 comments:

michele L said...

there is something vampirish about this post. just saying.

Ericka said...

Like Angeline Jolie before Brad Pitt? or like Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer in True Blood?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...