Monday, January 4, 2010

Review of 2009- Part 1

The beginning of 2009 was fantastic because Kevin and I got married and went on a wonderful honeymoon. Even in the months leading up to the wedding, I was super excited and happy. Here's a review.

January
Kevin and I were engaged and living in the Cobble Hill neighborhood of Brooklyn. We celebrated New Years out in Brooklyn with Briggs, Jon, and Becky. Then we raced off to New Jersey the next day for Chrissy and Jason's wedding!

New Years Eve 2008 --> 2009
Briggs, me, and Kevin at Jake Walk in Brooklyn on New Years Day 2009

We visited my grandmother Daisy, and David and Melanie, and later my parents came to visit us in Brooklyn. We had date nights at Lucali Pizzeria in Carroll Gardens (yum!), La Taqueria in Park Slope, and Pongal Indian in Manhattan. Those were the days!

Kevin and I watched Obama's inauguration from Times Square.  Rachel and I went out to dinner with our friend from Spain, Monica.  I worked late and on weekends a lot. Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 43rd President of the United States.

February
Kevin and I were living in Brooklyn together and we were in full-blown wedding countdown mode. I dragged Kevin and Brian to New York's Chinese New Year Parade. It was pretty similar to the DC Chinese New Year parade, but with more dragons. We saw Cat Power at the Apollo with Jon and Becky.

I passed my Bar fitness interview.  I freaked out because our wedding invitations were printed in the wrong color, then I embraced it and moved on to freaking out about addressing envelopes. Brady, James W., and I celebrated Kevin's 29th birthday on Valentines Day, which I decided was not as romantic as it initially sounded. Jeff M. visited us, Kevin punched him as part of an on-going punching game they play, and then Jeff stole my pillow case. My pillow case lived in California for a while. Spike Lee came and gave a talk at my law firm. We celebrated Jinsoo's 30th birthday with a party at his place and some organic cheesy poofs.

Brooklyn Heights Promenade 2009
Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Valentine's Day 2009

March
We got to see Casey and he hooked us up with a ticket to Boston University's production of La Tragedie de Carmen. Kevin decorated our apartment with balloons and a bunch of us went out for my 30th birthday in Brooklyn. We celebrated Cory's 30th birthday at Hill Country (back before I really appreciated Southern barbecue).  Kevin, Jon, James W., and I had a relaxing St. Patrick's Day in Brooklyn. My parents and I drove 20 hours round-trip to Ohio, to get my wedding dress fitted by the designer. Yes, we really did that and survived our relationship. Kevin and my dad came to my bar swearing-in ceremony. Michele and I went to the New York Philhamonic in Lincoln Center. Kevin and I sent out our wedding invitations!

NY Bar Swear-In 2009
My NY Bar swearing-in ceremony 2009

April
Kevin celebrated his bachelor party in Vegas, and my friends threw me a bridal shower in Warwick, NY, and a bachelorette at hotel/club in Mahwah, NJ. Janice got her pug Fudgie. My friend from work, Tevia and I went to see a Broadway show, Distracted.

 bachelorette party group pic_edited-3
My bachelorette party

May
Kevin's family threw me a little wedding shower on the Cape, which was really sweet. My parents came up for it so we were able to spend Mother's Day with both of our moms and my dad. My friend Rachel celebrated her first Mother's Day as a mom. The following day, Kevin and I got our marriage license for our wedding that was in month. I worked on our wedding table place cards which were photos of all the guests. My mother and I went to buy makeup for my wedding, and we got a makeup test even though my mother did my makeup on my actual wedding day. The makeup test convinced me to switch lipstick colors from my muted coppery corals to pink. I still wear mostly pink lipstick these days.

Bridal Shower 2009 
Cape Cod wedding shower

Mother's Day 2009
Mother's Day 2009

June
Kevin and I left Brooklyn to head for the Cape on a Wednesday, and we pulled away from our apartment building I squealed, "when we come back we'll be married!" On Friday other people started arriving, and the bridesmaids and I got our nails done, then we went to the rehearsal, and the rehearsal dinner at Scargo Cafe.  I surprised Kevin with a Red Sox "grooms cake" at the rehearsal dinner, and Jon gave an awesome speech about watching Kevin propose to me (he was taking photos).  Then we all went to the 28 Club for the Welcome Party.

We had the ceremony outside at Wychmere Harbor. We wrote our vows, and we asked Janice, my mother, and Briggs to do poetry readings we chose. The cocktail hour was both outside and inside with our friend Jinsoo playing classical piano inside.  We had a beautiful reception that didn't feel too short-- maybe because I danced almost the entire time. When we got back, I changed and we went to an after party in Kevin's brother's room. Kevin's aunts and mother put on a lovely breakfast the next morning.

380
Our wedding day

The next day we were on our way to Greece for our honeymoon.  We explored Athens, Folegandros, and Santorini.

Of course, when we got back, Brady was the first visitor.  Makes sense since he's the one that performed our wedding ceremony. Then we went back to the Cape to have a month-late memorial for my grandfather on the Shute side.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...