Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Charlottesville, VA 2013

Since we were already so far south visiting Michele, Kevin and I did our pilgrimage to Charlottesville on Thursday. We love Charlottesville because we met here, it's warm and pleasant, it's green and full of trees and mountains, and it's the home of UVA which we love just as much, just to name a few reasons.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
On UVA grounds

We went a little over a year ago, and we did pretty much the exact same things this time. It's pretty much our Cville greatest hits. Kevin went hiking during James's naptime, which made him very happy. The man really loves hiking. Back when we were dating I used to go and even kind of keep up. If he brought me along he usually kept the hike a little easier and I'd do 3-7 miles with him. These days I find the stairs somewhat challenging.

After naptime, we had Belair Market sandwiches- we always get the Jefferson sandwich because it's turkey and cranberry. Then we went to the main UVA grounds because they're beautiful. We took photos there again this year. The first time we took photos there together was in 2008, first for my law school graduation in May, and then we took engagement photos there later in the summer. It's fun to bring James to the place it all began even if he doesn't get yet. Last year we got James a Virginia t-shirt, this year he scored a Virginia shirt and hat.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
James is flying I think

Charlottesville, VA 2013
James's preferred mode of transportation in the heat

Then we went Downtown. We took a photo in front of Mudhouse Coffee again this year. It's where we met and had our first date in 2006. Their coffee is totally holding up, even after all this time drinking fancy Brooklyn coffee.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
We Kevin and I met 7 years ago!

This time when we went by the Freedom of Speech Wall, James was inspired to chalk it up. Apparently, he has a lot of speech he wants to share. Or scribbles. He also felt the need to crowd this little girl out. SHe was pretty close to his age, but he prefers older women of 3 or 4 years old.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
Drawing with his new Charlottesville girlfriend

We met up with James W. for dinner at the noodle place on the mall. I had this bright idea to pass some time while we waited for James W. James has been asking about bubbles frequently because he saw some episode of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that featured bubbles. There's a CVS on the mall so I figured they would have bubbles for kids. Not only did they have bubbles, but they had Mickey Mouse bubbles. James went crazy. He doesn't care at all about Charlottesville, but the bubbles were the highlight of the day for him. It was maybe too exciting actually because I was getting worried that he was going to fall on the brick while chasing the bubbles with wild abandon.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
Bubbles!

Charlottesville, VA 2013
Little James looks excited to see James W. but is in fact just excited about the bubbles

I always called Marco & Luca Noodle Shop "the dumpling place." That related to the fact that I always just got one order of dumplings there. Since we were making a whole dinner of it we got dumplings and different types of noodles and I have to say the non-spicy noodles are now my favorite. I'm going to have to figure out how to make them because I've been dreaming about them ever since I got home. Kevin, James, and James W. are also big fans. Afterward, we went to Splendora's Gelato, where I was planning to have a gelato to myself, but James immediately helped himself to copious amounts of Mexican chocolate. Yum.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
Marco & Luca Noodle Shop

May 2013
Hello, gelato!

Finally, I let Kevin and James W go get drinks and have a good time without a toddler. But James and I had a good time at the hotel. We watched a little Mickey on my Kindle, blew bubbles inside, and he had a luxurious bath with all the plastic cups the hotel room offered.

Charlottesville, VA 2013
Like a little angel watching a video on the Kindle

Our last trip to Charlottesville in April 2012, and our trip to Charlottesville in June 2010. (Michele, this one was a love letter to Charlottesville.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...