Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Photo Project 2007-2012

In 2007, I started working on a hobby project to get all my photos available digitally online.  I mainly wanted a safe backup of all my photos in case of fire or flood, but I also wanted to be easily able to print whichever photos I wanted quickly.   I got my first digital camera halfway through 2003.  The photos it took weren't very good quality by today's standards, but I almost immediately abandoned my film camera.  Not only that, but I greatly increased the number of photos I took because I wasn't printing most of them.  The economic incentive was the opposite of what it was with film camera: the more photos the more cost-effective my camera was.  It took me two years to get all of my digital photos online 2003-March of 2009,  just because there were so many.  At the same time, I was scanning all of my non-digital prints.  

My photo project mess 2007
My "photo den" (Kevin's office) in Charlottesville, December 2007

Well, this January, I finally finished. I have all my photos of family, friends, and places I've traveled on Flickr.  Some of those people I've lost, and now all I have is these photos and my memories.  I don't regret the time I invested taking, scanning, editing, and posting photos.  And I look forward to enjoying the albums I can make fairly easily now.  I do wish I had a few more of the loved ones I lost, but all I can do is be sure to capture some more important memories from here on out.

Photo Project 2012
Screenshot of my Flickr collections

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...