Wednesday, April 24, 2013

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013

For James's second birthday we just had a little cake on the Cape with mostly Kevin's family, since they couldn't make the trip down to New York last year. James is obsessed with Mickey Mouse and Goofy on television and with Curious George books, so it was a tough call on the theme, but we decided rat cake was the way to go.

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
My mom "Nana", me, James, Kevin, Kevin's mom "Gaga",
Kevin's grandmother "Great-ga"

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Mickey Mouse chocolate cake from Cakes by Lori on the Cape

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013 
Blowing out the candles is still a team effort

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013  
Opening presents with his girlfriend Ellen

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Hugging Harry the "doggie"

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Playing with his new toys!

Mom came up with us in part to go visit my grandmother, my dad's mom on the Cape. It's 10 hours round trip to the Cape, so she didn't want to do it alone. It's another 2 hours round trip up to my grandmother's, so I wasn't able to bring James for a visit this time, in part because Kathy gave us a stay at a bed and breakfast at an Inn for the same weekend. It was a really nice gift and we enjoyed it to the fullest but more in another post.

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
With my mother who is definitely aging backwards now.

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Kathy with her Cape Cod besties, Dolores and Fran

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
James exploring the backyard with Great Uncle Dickie and Ellen

James also had his 2-year checkup this week. He's a healthy toddler of 36.25 inches and 29 pounds. That makes him officially more than 60% of my height. I predict he surpasses me in 5th or 6th grade. He's starting to wear 3T tops, but he's still in 2T bottoms. He likes to wear them low. He's using short sentences, and he's able to ask for almost everything he wants, and he's pretty successful at bossing me around. 

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Helium balloons are the best!

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Stretching tall!

I oftentimes marvel about how there was so much I didn't understand about parenthood when I started this adventure 2 years ago. I thought prestige of parenthood was limited by the fact that most people could and did have children. Like somehow that made it less of an accomplishment. I was super dumb, and I wouldn't even bring it up except that maybe someone reading this might relate. Now I understand that it's one of the best and hardest things anyone can accomplish-- not to just have a child-- but to be a parent. The Grand Canyon and Machu Picchu are not less beautiful if more people gaze at them.

James's 2nd Birthday Party 2013
Snuggling Ellen to try to get the truck from her. Don't hate the playa'.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You look great Ericka!

Unknown said...

Also, nice sweaters in these photos - lookin at you Kathy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...