Sunday, October 11, 2015

Supermoon Lunar Eclipse 2015

I always want to watch these astronomical events and then I either completely miss them because I forget, or they are at a really late time of night so I just refuse to get up (or set an alarm). Well this time the total lunar eclipse was perfect. It could be seen in North America before my bedtime. A lot of my friends and family tried to watch it without a lot of luck, but we had a good view from our house and clear skies. Kevin was not so interested, but we put lawn chairs on our front yard and sat facing the direction of our house and sort of our neighbors house (yes, we looked like weirdos) and watched until our earth completely blocked sunlight from the moon. Then I clapped for the drama.

Lunar Eclipse 2015
September 27 Lunar Eclipse

This lunar eclipse was a little different because it was a supermoon. A supermoon is a full moon (or a new moon) at the time the moon is closest to the Earth on its elliptical orbit, which makes it look as big as it ever looks. There was also a lot of talk about a "blood moon" but that has to do with all lunar eclipses. When the Earth completely blocks the sun the glow on the moon looks red. I saw it in the little sliver that never seemed to go away.

Lunar Eclipse 2015

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...