Monday, August 8, 2016

Erika's Book of Speculation Reading 2016

dI got to actually hear Erika read and talk about her novel The Book of Speculation last week. Even though I read her book in May, and the short story prequel in June, and loved both, this was the first opportunity I had to attend a reading. It added a lot to what I got from the book. For example, I had never considered either the symbolism or the realism of the crabs... but it was fascinating to reconsider them.

Erika's Reading- August 2016
Erika reading from her book

Erika's Reading- August 2016
A nice size audience!

Since the book took 10 years to write, it was really cool to hear about how her life progressed as she wrote the book. It's so enjoyable to listen to talented and thoughtful people talk. I wish I'd taken more advantage of how easy it was to go to readings and author talks when I was childless and lived right next to Book Court in Brooklyn. 

Erika's Reading- August 2016
You can see the back of my head. Haha.

Erika's Reading- August 2016
Signing copies for people

Erika's Reading- August 2016
The posters because they're exciting

Kevin watched the kids for me and since he was dropping me off anyway, they all enjoyed the playground and gorgeous children's reading room at the Neconset/ Smithtown Library.

Erika's Reading- August 2016
Coloring

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...