Friday, November 9, 2012

Nor'easter 2012

All our unnatural weather events have to have catchy names now. I'm not sure when this started exactly but the first one I remember was "Snowmageddon" or "Snowpocalypse" in DC at the beginning of 2010. Since then everything has to have it's own crazy name, and often times several names. Hurricane Sandy was renamed Superstorm Sandy when it stopped technically being a hurricane, but because it was also close to Halloween and ruined a lot of Halloween events it was also called Frankenstorm in NY. The latest and greatest is the"Nor'easter" or "Nor'Easterpocalypse." Yeah, I know, not terribly clever, but there it is.

Our first snowfall of the season coming right on the heels of Superstorm Sandy is a mess. A lot of places in New Jersey and New York haven't gotten power back and the temperatures are dropping. In Long Island by us it started snowing at 10:30 a.m. and it kept going all day. We were definitely nervous about losing power again, and every time there was a strong gust Kevin got visibly nervous. Since we didn't lose power through 4:30 p.m. we decided to take James out. His first snowfall was last October, but he was only 6 months old so he barely noticed it, much less enjoyed it. He seemed to like the snow well enough, but he wasn't crazy about it, so we didn't stay out too long. He did manage to track tons of mud and snow into the house though, so he got that part right.

First Snow of 2012
James, shoveling snow

First Snow of 2012
Fun in the backyard

First Snow of 2012
My street on Wednesday

So everything was winter white and charming and I enjoyed a hot chocolate before bed, but it's Long Island, so you know this story does not end well. We lost power around 1 a.m., which is not a huge big deal, but when James woke up and realized it was cold, he had to be moved to our bed. We had a total of 7 inches of snow! And Kevin had to go to work the next morning so James and I were left alone without power or heat. Besides being extremely boring this was getting painful, but we were trying to be brave in hopes that the power would come back on by the afternoon. But after lunch I gave up and asked my mom to come get me and James. As we arrived at her place around 2:30 p.m., my neighbor Frank called me and told me the power was back on. Seriously. So I'm still here. I told Kevin not to even bother rescuing us, since the next storm is surely on its way, he can just come join us when he's ready.

Day After Nor'easter 2012
View out my Window on Thursday morning

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...