Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Mom Update- October 2017

After Richard and Elaine visited on Saturday, Bob sat with Mom for a while. She was cold so he tucked her in and stepped out for a minute. At some point, I randomly decided to check on her and she was shaking. I tried to wake her up but she couldn't respond so I called that at-home hospice number and they talked me through giving her some dissolving morphine and a sedative. They sent a nurse out afterward.

Since then she's been unable to get up or swallow. She had a few bites of a bagel she was craving on Saturday morning. On Sunday she started talking a little more again, so Bob got her some Ensure to drink since it has extra nutrients. She took two sips. She kept having a few sips of water here and there but since she can't swallow pills we're not sure how much water she was getting and then she stopped getting any water aside that which I mixed with her dissolving meds.

Her pain med requirements kept going up Monday and Tuesday. With at-home hospice every time I needed her dosage increased I had to call and explain that she was in pain, and then wait for the prescription to be changed. I'm obviously not a skilled nurse and moving her minimally for care hurts her too. I finally moved her back to in-patient hospice care so that they can administer morphine through an IV and care for her in a more skilled way. Her room has a pull-out couch so I'm staying here throughout the day and I'm sleeping overnight.

I've been meeting all the friends she made on the staff the first time she stayed here. She chatted with everyone and everyone has mentioned how she put on her makeup each day she was here last time. No one expected her back so soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...