Thursday, October 21, 2010

4 Weeks, August 8-14, 2010

This week started with my dad's brain radiosurgery.  Under normal circumstances my mother probably would have noticed my 4 trips to the bathroom in 4 hours.  I didn't like keeping the secret from them, but it wasn't a good time to share the news.   The baby was perhaps about two weeks old at this point, and it had been an extremely difficult two weeks for my family, and would continue for months.  Reading Origins definitely makes me nervous about the effect of these weeks of sadness on the baby.

I started referring to the baby as Sesame Seed based on its approximate size.  Kevin researched the best OB/GYN in all of Long Island.  Of course he did. The hormone headaches came on with a vengeance.

Sonoma, CA 2010
Sonoma, August 13, 2010

We went to San Francisco for Jeff and Inga's wedding, and instead of adjusting to the time difference I went to bed at 7 pm and got up at 8 am PST. Yes, that's 13 hours of sleep.  Kevin and I discussed potential baby names while waiting for the San Francisco trolley.  It was such a long wait that we picked out names we're fairly confident about, but it's a secret for now.  Food tasted amazing.  It felt as though my pulse went up.  Since the baby's heart was supposed to start beating this week, I drew a heart on twitter.

My First Halloween 1979
Ericka, October 31, 1979

I bought the baby's first outfit in Chinatown, inspired by a little outfit I had when I was a baby.  Walking long distances, which is what we mostly did in San Francisco, was fairly painful in the abdominal region, and brought on some nausea. Apparently this also made me very grouchy.

In wine country I found creative ways to avoid wine so no one would notice, but I am told that Briggs, Cory, and Robin noticed anyway. (Okay, I sipped a tiny amount of the delicious pinot noir at the wedding, but the NY Times says that's better for the baby anyhow.) 

Milestones: Picking a boy name and a girl name, baby's first outfit- Chinese shirt, pants and shoes!
Craving: Nuts (and San Francisco's clam chowder and sour dough)
Symptoms: Extreme sleepiness, headaches, abdominal pain when walking long distances, all food tasting delicious, some nausea
Baby-size: Sesame seed 
Weight gain: 1 pound

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...